Best of 2018

First, I am going to pat myself on the back for getting this list post out before the clock strikes midnight. Next, I'm going to tell you that I had a lot of fun reading this year. I discovered a phenomenal new Young Adult series (An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir), I rediscovered by love of romance novels (thank you Untamed), and I dove back in to graphic novels which I haven't done in ages (Sarah Anderson really hits my funny bone).

In 2018, I managed to finish reading 54 books totaling 12,632 pages. That's a bit higher than my usual pace and I know it's because I binged on books that looked good during my library trips. I always read more when I'm excited about what's coming up on my nightstand.

The year in ratings. It was definitely a B+ kind of year. Mostly above average with a few stand-outs and no real stinkers.

1 = 10/10 [Best. Book. Ever.]
0 = 9/10 [Excellent!]
9 = 8/10 [Terrific]
28 = 7/10 [Very Good]
14 = 6/10 [Good]
2 = 5/10 [Meh.]
0 = 4/10 [An "Okay" Book]
0 = 3/10 [Poor, Lost Interest]
0 = 2/10 [Awful]
0 = 1/10 [Don't Waste Your Time]

Now for the year in genres. I was all over the place but there was a definite emphasis on non-fiction this year.

Self Help = 1
Library Science = 2
Non-Fiction = 10
Fiction = 8
Food = 1
Juvenile = 1
Journaling = 1
Art = 2
Handwriting = 7
Memoir = 1
Cookbook = 2
Photography = 5
Social Media = 2
Graphic Novel = 7
Young Adult = 3

Lastly, here are my top 5 reads of 2018.

5. Vox by Christina Dalcher
4. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
3. Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir
2. Sex Object by Jessica Valenti

My number one book is, heads-and-tails, one of the best things I have ever read. Not just this year but ever. You need to read it.

1. The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South by Michael W. Twitty
-->

Comments