What I Read This Week: September 23, 2018


A few weeks back, I mentioned that I received good news that I was not quite ready to share. Now I am. Friday was my last day at my current library where I worked as the Head of Preservation. I accepted a new position as the Outreach and Reference Librarian at another DC university. I'm a public services librarian at heart and I'm super excited for what lies ahead.

Leaving my old library was bittersweet. The University is where I did my studies and it's where my professional career began. I'm fairly certain I'll start my commute the wrong way a few times until I get used to the new position.
  • Work
    • College & Research Libraries News, September 2018 - I loved the article about realigning the library liaison role with university priorities. It's rather well timed for me since I am leaving one university for another. There was also a great piece discussing programming that teaches media literacy.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, September 2018 - In lieu of a book, since I was waiting for a library hold to come in, I read this magazine in bed most nights. It's never taken me longer to finish an issue because I kept falling asleep. That's not a reflection on the content - just a comment on my ability to fall asleep quickly. In any case, I enjoyed several stories in this issue. First, there was a great story about a woman who had to corral her book collection - she learned that what you have on your shelves does not define you as a person. Then, there was a story about how to take control of your calendar. I also liked some of the great tips to keep you organized. Finally, there was a story about neighbor's table which is all about gathering people together. 
  • Books
    • I polished off two volumes of the rebooted Wonder Woman graphic novel series. I'm still not sure how I think about the books jumping back and forth between time frames, but I'm still enjoying the series. The library does not yet have the next volume in the series. If they don't get it, I just may have to buy it on my own.
In a final note, this week The Husband and I spent some time catching up on Doctor Who. We've always loved the show, but the episode titled "Heaven Sent" may be one of the best things I have ever seen on television. 

Comments