What I Read This Week: September 2, 2018


I received some good news this week. I'm not quite ready to share it yet, but know that I am excited and making a million to do lists.

In other news, my fantasy football league drafted this week. I, once again, received one of the worst draft grades in the league. Not scared. The same thing happened last year and I ended up running the table and winning the whole darn thing. Woot!

  • Work
    • American Libraries, September/October 2018 - This is the annual library design issue. I always love seeing all the new library styles. It makes me want to roadtrip across the country to see everything in person. One library even had green walls filled with air-cleaning plants! There was also an interesting article on how to turn unused public spaces, like old malls, into libraries.
  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, September 2018 - This is the first time in a long time that I've pulled over ten recipes in a single issue. The main story was about big batch cooking. Since I started meal
      prepping my lunches at the beginning of the summer, several of the dishes looked like they would fit my needs. There was also a brief piece about how to eat healthy at fast food and fast casual restaurants. 
    • The Atlantic, September 2018 - Two stories in this issue really made my blood boil. The cover story on ICE is just infuriating - it's a government department lacking oversight, organization, and empathy. The other was on the sexism female attorneys face. Everyone from jurors to judges has biases against their looks, fashion choices, voices, and presumed intelligence. At least one story in this issue was enlightening. I had no idea that there was debate about just how the dinosaurs were killed. This
      story covers the scientist who is the force behind the vulcanism theory. It certainly opened by mind that the asteroid is not a closed case.
    • National Geographic, September 2018 - The cover story about a woman who received a full face transplant is both heartbreaking and uplifting. It's amazing what medical science has achieved and what the human spirit can endure. Some of the pictures are hard to look at, but I think they serve as a reminder that the human face comes in many varieties and we should accept everyone for who they are while also supporting their desire to change. In addition to that must read story, this issue also took a look at an interesting bird that is on the verge of extinction. It's hunted for illegal trade and it's odd mating pattern means recovery is extremely difficult.
  • Books
    • I started and finished The Golden Secrets of Hand Lettering by Martina Flor. It's due back at the library and I was hoping to be able to return this while picking up a new hold (The Hating Game) but that hasn't worked out. C'mon library gods!

Comments