What I Read This Week: June 10, 2012

As I predicted, this week was WAY better for reading. I guess that's what happens when you spend most of your time at home. Most of the reading from this week occurred on Monday through Wednesday. The Boyfriend and I are attended a wedding in New Jersey this weekend, and that included a quick jaunt to Manhattan. Fun times!
  • The Chronicle of Higher education posted a wonderful (and heartbreaking) article about Dasmine Cathey. He was a college football player who could not read, so he taught himself. To add to that, he put his family and friends first, often to his own personal detriment. It's a wonderful article, but the issues it raises with college football and education are very troubling.
  • I finally got around to reading the ARL Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic and Research Libraries. It didn't teach me anything new (I am that much of a fair use nerd), but it's nice to finally have a document like this to refer to when necessary.
  • I read about half of the June issue of the Atlantic. I found the cover story about B.F Skinner and modern diet techniques to be very interesting. I highly recommend it. I also enjoyed the brief articles on the relocation of beavers and cognac
  • For work, I started reading Introducing RDA: A Guide to the Basics. Cataloging is in up a shake-up. I figured I should know things.
  • To cap things off, I managed to get a few more chapters into Mockingjay. I am so glad that I bought the box set.

Comments