Read-a-thon's Eve

Only a few hours before kick-off and I've been cleaning and prepping up a storm. I know I'll have a far more relaxing read-a-thon if the apartment is clean and the snackage is ready. I'm uber-excited for tomorrow.

Tonight, I'll be celebrating a double birthday at a billiards bar. Darts and beer? Sounds like a good read-a-thon's eve to me. While I may be staying up too late (hopefully I'll be able to snag 6 hours of sleep), I prepped as much as I could in order to leave as much reading time as possible.

First, we have the completed pile of books.

I predict this will fall over...
Last time, I separated each novel with a graphic novel to act as a palate cleanser. It worked wonderfully so I'm sticking with that strategy. The book on the top is the book I shall start at the 8:00am buzzer. I'll then work my way as far down the pile as possible. My reading order is as follows:

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
Deogratias: ATale of Rwanda by J.P. Stassen
The Reader by Bernard Schlink
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
Safe Area Gorzade by Joe Sacco
Death of a Cad by M.C. Beaton
Last Day in Vietnam by Will Eisner
Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens

Second, we have the snackage.

Crispy snacks, vegetables, cheese, and oreo truffles. Yum!
Yes, that's a lot of food. What can I say, I like a lot of food to go with my reading. Since this picture, the veggies have been pre-cut to allow for faster serving. The menu for the day is as follows.
Breakfast
Scrambled Eggs
Cinnamon Rolls
Bacon
and the all important Mimosas

Lunch
Crudites with Ranch Dressing
Assorted Cheeses with Water Crackers

Dinner
Ordering out for Chinese (it worked out well last year)
There will also be coffee, water, tea, and other libations over the course of the day.

Third, I have set myself some goals for this read-a-thon:
1. Read for at least 20 hours - it may be tough with my plans tonight, but I think I can do it since I have absolutely no plans on Sunday. Who needs sleep?
2. Complete 6 books - should be doable but I always read more slowly than I remember.
3. Have a good time - check

Finally, I must mention my companions. Last year I was joined by both The Boyfriend and The Roomie. Sadly, The Boyfriend must work all day on Saturday (boo) and will be unable to join in the festivities. The Roomie, however, will be on hand (after she sleeps in) with her own pile of books and snack ready fingers. The two of us shall consume far too many calories, lots of tea, and thousands of words.

Sweet dreams of good reads to everyone participating!

Comments

Oh, Mimosas sound like a fantastic way to kick of Readathon!
Meghan said…
You always have to have something fizzy during read-a-thon.