The Now: July 17, 2019

My birthday is on Saturday. Hoorah! Normally, I take the week around my birthday off from work. Since I've got maternity leave coming up, I opted not to do that this year. Instead, we're grabbing brunch and then dessert with friends. Simple plans are sometimes the best.

Here's what else has my attention at the moment.


Now Watching... Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. What a delightful show! The host, Samin Nosrat, is so enthusiastic and happy that it's impossible to not smile when you watch her. This Netflix series takes the concepts from Nosrat's cookbook and turns them in to individual episodes. Nosrat travels to different spots around the globe to explore how all these elements come together to create tasty food. Plus, there's science involved. Also, I think the show as shot in 4K because the images are some the of clearest I have ever seen on the screen. Highly recommend!

Also Now Watching... Gilmore Girls. We needed another weeknight show to binge. For some reason, I've had Gilmore Girls on the brain so we started watching it from the beginning this week. I saw a few seasons back when they first came out, but I stopped watching around the third season or so. (I was a major Tristan/Rory shipper back then.) While I know that the characters end up being not all the likable by the end (particularly when you consider the reboot), I'm enjoying the witty writing and fun characters. I think the nostalgia factor on this show is the perfect thing to get me to labor and through those early days with The Kid.

Now Eating... Skillet Chicken Thighs with Spring Vegetables. Last week, we needed one more dinner to get us to the weekend. This recipe has been sitting on my Pinterest board for months. After work, I picked up the ingredients, walked home, and started cooking dinner. It's really tasty and not all that hard to do. Our store did not have bone-in thighs, but the boneless worked just as well. DO NOT skip making the vinaigrette. It was the highlight of the dish. Our store was also out of shallots so I substituted them with some red onions I'd pickled previously. SO GOOD!

Now Writing... Social media content. A colleague will be taking over our library's social media accounts while I'm on leave. Since this task will be in addition to her regular duties, I'm trying to make her life a lot easier by pre-writing some content. I've created some Theme Week posts about timeless library related things (research techniques, services we offer, citations, etc.) as well as some one-off posts. While she'll still have to create timely content, she can pepper in this material when she doesn't have time to create new items or there's nothing special going on.

Now Sorting... My email. Over the past few months, my email has become a disaster area (at least for me). I like to only keep what is useful and ensure it's all sorted into folders. Things have been so hectic that I just started tossing stuff into folders willy-nilly. Right now, I'm making a concerted effort to get back to my more (type-A) organized ways. I'm doing this for both my personal and work emails. It's one way I manage to remain on top of things. Also, I find it stress relieving to delete stuff I don't need anymore.




Comments