What I Read This Week: June 9, 2019


The Husband and I are driving back from our weekend away today. *pout* At least I know we can stop for some Blizzards from Dairy Queen on the way home. It's a road-trip tradition that we follow whenever we return from points south. Clearly, the hardest decision I'll make today is what mix-in(s) to get.

  • Work
    • College & Research Libraries News, June 2019 - The first main article in this issue talked about trying an Open Educational Resources (OER) listening tour to gauge faculty needs and roadblocks. Since we're trying to adopt OER on our campus, this was relevant to my interests. Continuing the trend of listening, there was also a great piece where librarians talked to their students about 24/7 use of the library during finals.
    • American Libraries, June 2019 - A good chunk of this issue was devoted to the annual ALA Conference. Even though it's in DC this year, I'm skipping. I don't relish being 7 months pregnant and stuck in a conference center all day. Aside from that, there was an interesting article on how libraries handle becoming homeless camps. All solutions are tough calls, but it's something libraries have to handle every day. Finally, the article on harassment in libraries just made me sad... because it's so normal.
  • Books
    • For my nightstand read, I'm working on book four in the Throne of Glass Series. This one is called Queen of Shadows and it is just getting started. I fully expect all hell to break loose in the world before I finish. Then there are only three more books to go before I finish the series. My goal of finishing them all before the baby comes is probably a pipe dream.
    • I've polished off Expecting Better by Emily Oster. This is the last pregnancy book I plan on reading. I'm glad I ended with this one because the information it shares is rational and useful. Plus, Oster has a new parenting book out. It's on my library holds list and, if I'm lucky, I might be able to read it before The Kid makes an appearance.

Comments