The Now: June 5, 2019

The Husband is doing a lot of traveling for work right now. Happily, he gets to come back from California in time for us to go on our babymoon this weekend.

We're headed to a small down in Virginia on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay. We're going to spend a few days on the beach, dipping our toes in the water, and generally just being together. This is going to be our last getaway as a duo for awhile. We're both really excited to be parents, but don't want to lose sight of ourselves as a couple. Moments together like this will help us remember why we together. Also, our Air B&B comes with crab traps so we might get to try our hand at some crabbing.


Now Weeding... All of my clothes and book collection. With The Kid scheduled to make an appearance at the end of August, our apartment needs to adapt. The Husband and I have plans to Marie Kondo everything we own. This week, I started with my clothes and book collection. I was shocked how easy it was to look at everything hanging in my closet and folded in my dresser and just grab things for donation. I weed this regularly, but this time through was particularly easy. I just knew that certain items were never going to be worn again. The books were a bit harder. I have about two shelves worth of books on the Titanic. It was a topic I was really into in high school and college. I went book by book through this collection to decide what to keep and what goes. The keep pile is very small. Luckily, there is a used bookstore in Dupont Circle that will buy items for store credit, so I decided that is where these are going to go. The other books I weeded can just go to the communal bookcase in our building's laundry room.

Now Watching (and Loving)... Naked and Afraid XL. The Husband introduced me to this show. At the time, I was skeptical about the whole thing. Now, I love it. Yeah, it's definitely produced reality and some of the people are coached for drama, but it's still enjoyable. While we watch the regular version of Naked and Afraid (where two folks are dropped, naked, into a inhospitable area with limited resources) the XL version is a whole nother level. Several groups are dropped in the same general vicinity. They still need the skills to survive the harsh conditions but now, with so many more people, they also have to get along. It's quite the social experiment.

Now Watching (and Mehing)... Dogs on Netflix. I thought this limited series was going to talk about how dogs became man's best friend. Instead, it's a series of human stories that revolve around dogs. While the pups are indeed cute (and helpful), I was more interested in the human stories. One of the episodes focused on a refugee's work to get his dog out of Syria. All well and good, but I really want to know about his friends who were left in the country. In this and other instances, the human stories were far more compelling than the role the dogs played.

Now Developing... An exhibit on college skills. Before I go on maternity leave, I plan on putting up an exhibit on college skills. I spent some time this week making a promotional graphic, creating a book list, and designing informational cards to display next to the books. My hope is that I can have all my planning done this month and use July for creation of material (I rely on a coworker to print stuff). That way, I can install it in early August before students are back. It will then run through the weeks I am out of the office.

Comments