The Now: June 19, 2019

Not gonna lie, now that I'm nearly seven months pregnant, baby stuff is basically on my mind all day, every day. Also, pregnancy brain is no joke. I'll be in the middle of a sentence or task and completely forget what I was trying to say or do.

Somehow, I do manage to go about my day and get other things done. Here's what has my attention right now.


Now Watching... The Hot Zone. I read the book the National Geographic series was based on over a decade ago. While the final two episodes of the show over dramatize the truth, it was a rather good adaption of Richard Preston's work. The show follows a suspected outbreak of ebola in a monkey facility in Reston, VA. It looks at the science of virology and how human interaction with nature can bring scary diseases in to populated areas. The cast and production values are fantastic. Just be forewarned... don't watch this one during dinner.

Now Eating... Egg Roll in a Bowl. I failed my one hour glucose test a little over a week ago. Because of that, I had to take the three hour test earlier this week to see if I had gestational diabetes. (Good news! I passed!) Before I got the results, however, I was concerned about eating a low-carb diet to help curb any possible complications. So, I turned to this quick and easy meal prep dish for my lunches this week. It cooks in no time at all, reheats well in the microwave, and tastes JUST like the insides of an egg roll.

Now Practicing... Hand Lettering. On Monday, I took a class on hand lettering. The Husband got me the entire set of Tombow Dual Brush pens for Christmas and I've been a bit afraid to use them because I didn't want to ruin the pens before I knew how to handle them. The class taught me how to use those pens and other hand lettering pens properly. There's something soothing about handwritten art. I find the need to practice each letter stroke slowly to be meditative. Plus, once I get really good at it, I might have a money-making side gig on my hands.

Now Developing... Information Literacy Activities. This summer, my colleagues and I are taking time each week to discuss and develop activities based on the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education. We're looking for activities that can be used for beginners to advanced students. We've only worked on one frame so far, but we came up with some killer, active learning ideas. (One of them is a card game we might be able to Kickstart if we like how it works.) We plan on writing up each activity fully, beta testing them at our University, and then sharing them with the wider instruction world. We're pretty excited about what we have so far.

Comments