Book 27: Heir of Fire

Title: Heir of Fire
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Started: May 13, 2019
Finished: May 31, 2019
Pages: 565
Genre: Young Adult

First Sentence: Gods, it was boiling in this useless excuse for a kingdom.

Summary: [From BN] Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak-but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth…a truth about her heritage that could change her life-and her future-forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

Thoughts: It took until book 3 (this book) for the series to really take off. I guess when the whole series is nearly 5,000 pages long, you can take your darn time setting up the world and its characters. I'm glad Maas took that time.

I am deep in to this world know and it keeps evolving as we follow Celaena. This time, she spends most of her story training to learn the skills that were only hinted about in the previous stories. To help, there is a whole new slate of characters introduced to us. Including, if I'm guessing correctly, her main love interest. Oh, also, some nasty villains.

At this point, I've binged so much of Maas' work that I am just along for the ride until this series concludes. What I noticed, however, is that her work is definitely of a type. There is a lot of overlap here (world and mythology-wise) with her other series A Court of.... Even the structure of her series is similar, down to how and when the main heroine meets her future amour. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I doubt I would have picked up on any of this if I hadn't been binge reading all of these books in a row.

Rating: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments