What I Read This Week: May 5, 2019


While I'm in the midst of a YA reading binge, I know I should be reading some parenting books. If you've got titles you like, please share them in the comments!
  • Work
    • College & Research Libraries News, March 2019 - There was a great piece on how being in a writing group can help you publish. Since I am now in a tenure-track position, that news was relevant to my interests. I also think it would be an interesting program for our library to help facilitate.
    • College & Research Libraries News, April 2019 - There was an article on Open Educational Resource (OER) at the beginning of this issue. Since our library is trying to encourage our faculty to adopt these resources, I enjoyed learning more about them. This issue also included an article on all the way library shame emerges in our users. The article further bolstered my belief that customer service can go a long way in reducing library anxiety.
    • American LibrariesMarch/April 2019 - There was a short piece about how libraries are moving away from collecting gender information for library cards. First, libraries don't really use that data. Second, it's more welcoming for those who don't identify as male or female. I like it! The cover story was all about block-chain and, I have to admit, this still goes mostly over my head.
    • I started reading The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media by Laura Solomon. I probably should have started this months ago but better late than never.
  • Books
    • I polished off Throne of Glass mid-week. I have a full review coming next week, but I think it's a promising set up to a great YA series.
    • Now, I am reading the second book in the series Crown of Midnight. Let's see if that promising start takes off.

Comments