What I Read This Week: May 26, 2019


I love a good three day weekend. Aside from D&D yesterday and dinner with friends last night, The Husband and I have no plans. None. Clearly, instead of doing something fun, I'll end up weeding my closet or something. But I love the simple joy of unstructured time.

  • Work
    • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media by Laura Solomon has been sitting on my desk reminding me to read a few chapters each week. This week, I set aside a few hours on Friday to finish it. While quite of bit of the book has not aged well (and certain parts of social media are missing - it did come out in 2013) the basic lessons still hold true.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, May 2019 - I learned so much about DaVinci! I always new he was the renaissance man, but I had no idea about his personal life. This article is simply fascinating and I highly recommend it. On top of that article I also love the feature story about how a national park in Mozambique is trying to recover and rebuild it's animal and plant population after a war. The plan is working because, on top of restoring nature, they're working with local populations to make sure they see an economic boost as well. Finally, I learned that smoke jumping in Alaska is not for the faint of heart. That job is grueling and dangerous.
  • Books
    • I'm still making my way through Heir of Fire. What I want to do is sit down and read a huge chunk in one sitting. What I'm actually doing is barely getting through a few chapters each night before my eyelids fall asleep on me. How rude of them.
    • This week, I started reading what will likely be my last book on pregnancy. I borrowed Expecting Better by Emily Oster from a colleague who is due about a month before me. So far, it's informative, reassuring, and surprisingly entertaining.

Comments