What I Read This Week: May 19, 2019


Earlier this week, The Husband had to fly to Orlando for a work event. I was bummed that he was gone, but he brought me back a chocolate frog from the hotel he stayed at. I can't wait to see what wizard card I get! Also, I should not have read the nutrition information. There are five servings per frog!
  • Work
    • Marketing Library Services, May/June 2019 - I've already decided to not renew my superscription to this newsletter. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I don't think I receive enough value for the cost. This issue had a single interesting article (on setting up a PR room on your website). It's just not wort the $70 a year for six slim issues.
    • College & Research Libraries News, May 2019 - My library tries to be accessible to everyone. This issue had some tips and tricks that I've not seen before on the accessibility front. Hopefully, we'll be able to try a few of them.
    • On Friday, I was able to read a few more chapters in The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media. While some of the content has not aged well, most of the information is helpful.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, May 2019 - The cover story of this issue was fine. It was a rehash look at how the US responded to the genocide in Bosnia. I think the author made a good case to show that this is where US power started to decline. That said, however, I wrote my undergrad politics thesis on something related to this and I would make the case that it started with the Black Hawk Down incident in Somalia because that is what started to make President shy away from foreign intervention. But I digress... The most interesting piece in this magazine was about how there is very little medical science to back-up modern dentistry. If you read the piece, you may consider getting a second opinion after your next appointment. Finally, the feature piece looking at one doctor's involvement in the opioid crisis will both infuriate and sadden you. What I wish the piece highlighted more was how we have come to believe that we should have no pain ever. The inability to adapt to some pain really did influence this crisis.
  • Books
    • I finished the second book in the Throne of Glass Series, Crown of Midnight. I posted my complete review on Thursday.
    • Now I am reading the third book in the series, Heir of Fire. I really hope I can polish off this series before The Kid makes her grand entrance in to the world.

Comments