The Now: May 22, 2019

The University where I work started it's summer sessions this week. That means, while I still have Reference Desk hours, there are a lot fewer people using the Library. What shall I do with all of this free time I'm not answering questions? Oh, just the massive to do list I wrote for myself. My colleagues and I even sat down to compare our summer lists and initiatives. To say we're being ambitious would be an understatement. At least we know what we want to do, have set priorities, and can help each other out. Also, I have maternity leave to plan for. Time to get cracking.


Now Writing... An incident response guide. One of my big summer projects is to create a comprehensive incident response guide for our library. I'm working on this with a librarian from our Law School Library which is good cause I really want someone with a legal background to double check me on things like bomb threats and crisis communications. We're intending this guide to cover every single incident that could occur in the library - from the mundane like a power outlet problem to the scary like an active shooter, overdose, or massive leak that drowns the collection. I'm relying on existing University documentation to get me started, but there is a lot to write. I'm probably a quarter of the way done and this document is already over 22 pages long... single-spaced. I find that I have to work on it in fits and spurts because it gets mentally taxing to write content like this all day long.

Now Missing... Game of Thrones. This is the only season of GoT The Husband and I watched live. It's a good thing we did because it was nearly impossible to avoid spoilers and think pieces. While I have thoughts about the last season - I don't mind where the story went, I just think it was too rushed - I'm glad I got to partake in this media phenomenon. It truly was a water cooler show. I bonded with my coworkers because we could rehash each episode. I loved being able to talk to strangers about what we thought. GoT was a groundbreaking show and I'm going to miss watching episodes every week. If it weren't for the massive list of other things I want to see, I might go back and watch it from the beginning.

Now Anticipating... Our last game of Dungeons & Dragons for awhile. This Saturday will be the last game of D&D I get to play for a bit. Not only am I pregnant, but my friend who plays an excellent high elf wizard character based on Kim Kardashian is also pregnant. We're both due this summer. On top of that, we just found out that the friend who plays our woman-of-the-common-people fighter/healer will be starting a new job in Pittsburgh this summer. Saturday will be our chance to sorta wrap up story-lines and end this campaign on a good note. We all still plan on getting together to play but we know it will be harder to schedule now. So, we're taking a break until 2020 and then we'll see what we can put on the schedule. At least I got my magic wings in the last round! Go go gadget, Flight!

Now Eating... Calzones. What do you do when you have leftover pepperoni in your fridge? You make calzones! Normally, I would just make pizza again but it's been ages since I made this yummy pocket of cheese and flavor. I use a recipe from Real Simple and simply add the pepperoni. I bake this using a pizza stone which makes the dough extra crispy. Then, I serve each calzone with a side of whatever pasta sauce we happen to have in our pantry. It's not the easiest of meals to make but I think it's worth the effort. Plus, they get easier to make each time. I'm a pro at construction and dough crimping at this point.

Now Trying... Reusable cotton pads. I like to be green and eco-friendly when I can. A few weeks ago, I started removing my makeup using these reusable cotton pads. I wanted to move away from the disposal pads I'd used for years. So far, I like the change. The pads are sturdy, offer a little bit of exfoliation due to their texture, and - to my delighted surprise - came completely clean in the laundry. I thought they would have mascara residue on them. But nope - totally clean. This set even comes with a drawstring bag so you can just toss them all in the wash together without having to pick each little pad out of your clothing pile. I keep the bag hanging on the back of our bathroom cabinet and I just toss the used pads in there until laundry day. Then I toss the whole thing in to a regular load. So far, I'm liking this change.

Comments