Pairings: Sweet Points


Summer reading season is nearly here. Many book review places recommend adding thrills or other quick reading fiction to you summer reading list. I'm here to make the case for tossing at least one classic novel on your summer TBR pile. In summer, we always seem to have a bit more time to read whether it on the beach or from those couple extra hours of summer Friday workdays (lucky ducks!). Jane Austen is the kind of author who can bridge the divide between classic fiction and classic beach read. Why not give Sense and Sensibility a try. This was her first published novel and it looks at the follies that surround two very different sisters. It's full of romantic flirtations, secrets, and wit. The book may be from 1811 but it reads like a modern text. Toss this one in your beach bag on your next trip.


When I read a classic British novel, it makes me want tea. I love a good high tea. Give me an excuse to sit and chat with my friends, sip on some tasty blends, and nibble on finger sandwiches and I'm a happy gal. One of the best parts of having tea is seeing what sweet nibbles end up on the table. I love tiny desserts and petit fours are one of my favorites. They're cake but bite-sized! This recipe for vanilla petit fours from Olive and Artisan makes this delicate dessert look approachable. A small plate of these is the perfect accompaniment for an Austen novel.

Comments