What I Read This Week: April 14, 2019


What a week! It was a busy but productive week at the office. I was a #SaturdayLibrarian which is always interesting. We have our regulars who are here but rarely need reference support. Then there is the rotating crop of new people who never or only sometimes use the library. I like working with them because they ask fun questions. On top of that, The Husband and I went to a Caps playoff game. It was a raucous good time (even if the third period was mildly terrifying).

Oh, and we officially announced on Facebook that we're expecting a baby in August. I've read some pregnancy books so expect reviews starting this week.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, April 2019 - This entire issue was devoted to the idea of cities - how they grew, how to make them better, and how they are failing our current populations. I loved the ideas to revolutionize cities for a more greener, healthier, and economically prosperous future, but that article was pure fantasy because it does not take laws and politics in to account. One other article I (surprisingly) loved was the story about rats. I knew they were a fertile, invasive species but I never knew just how profoundly they impacted the environment. 
    • Real Simple, April 2019 - The cover story in this issue was devoted to cleaning. Each page broke down a space and offered reader provided tips for how to get those areas clean. While I
      liked the tips, I've seen them all before. I did, however, love the short article on how to turn your bath in to an oases. Each page offered a way for how to set a mood for a bit of self-care in your tub. I might need to try them all.
    • The Atlantic, April 2019 - The three feature stories from this issue are all worth a read. The first is about John Bolton and how he's now a moderating force in the Trump White House. Yeah, it's a bit surprising but it makes sense all things considered and the article details why. The second story is an interesting look at immigration. The author argues that the system is broken, shows how it is broken, and offers some options for how we may fix it. He's clearly pro-immigration,
      but he's pro-immigration within reason and his argument makes some sense. Finally, the last story is about our harried relationship with Putin and Russian. It's all not good and it's not good because neither party trusts the other.
  • Books
    • I'm making good progress on A Court of Wings and Ruin. It's so good and all I want to do is read it all day. Why does life have to keep getting in the way?

Comments