What I Read This Week: March 3, 2019


All I wanted to do this week was sleep. I love my job and I was very productive both there and at home... but getting out of bed each morning was a struggle. When Saturday rolled around and The Husband and I had no plans, I knew what I was going to do. Turn off the alarm clock. Nothing beats sleeping in as late as you want on a Saturday morning. It's a true luxury.

  • Work
    • College Research and Libraries News, February 2019 - I liked the article that discussed information creation beyond beyond papers and presentations. Information is created for emails, Facebook posts, discussion boards, and so much more. Librarians tend to train for peer-reviewed style articles (which most students will never write) this article focused on how to teach them for everything else. I also liked the piece on how to be a library without a physical library. My library has to move temporarily in a year or two to allow for a remodel. I'm going to put some of these lessons to work.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, March 2019 - There were a lot of good articles in
      this issue but three stood out to me. First, I was fascinated by the story on animal consciousness. It doesn't go too deep in to the science, but it uses the religion of Janeism to discuss why we may need to rethink animal consciousness. I also liked the story on the "yuck" factor. This piece does go in to the science and it shows the connection between our disgust reaction and our political views. The article doesn't take a side or say that one causes the other, but it does show the strong connection between things. Finally, to quote The Husband, "For a magazine with a cover of IMPEACH, there's not a lot on impeachment in here." The article, to me, was a bit lacking. I thought it was a well thought out and well written piece about the importance of impeachment as a constitutional mechanism but the case for impeaching the current president (which was the underlying intent of the article) was sorely lacking.
    • National Geographic, March 2019 - The cover story on searching for life on other planets was good. I love all things space exploration and astronomy. If that had been the only thing I liked in this issue, I would have been happy. What was great for me is that I thought two other articles were even better. The first was on the gangs in El Salvador and how that ties in to immigration to the US. The second was on caves in Borneo. I learned a lot of new stuff and the picture were breathtaking. 
  • Books
    • I polished off Defiant early in the week. It makes me want to keep reading romance novels. I haven't been this into them since just after college.
    • I started reading Hillary Clinton's What Happened. I don't think I'll ever be mentally ready to read this book, so now is as good a time as any. So far it's just bringing back upsetting memories. At least the conversational tone of the book makes it easy to read.

Comments