Pairings: A Royal Feast


From time to time, I love to dive in to a dramatic historical fiction novel. One of my favorite authors of that genre is Philippa Gregory. She has a flair for mixing history with storytelling that creates balance and action. One of the first books I read by her was The Other Boleyn Girl. This novel details the story of Mary Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's sister. Mary catches the eye of King Henry VIII first, but family and court politics dictates that Anne take the lead. This story is rife with drama, court intrigue, and sisterly rivalry. The story is set against the luscious background of a Tudor court. It's truly a costume drama come to life.


When I read novels set in this era, all I want to see is a giant royal feast. I want tables festooned with roasts and haunches. I want bowls and platters overflowing with vegetables and pies. I want to overwhelmed with the aroma of an over-the-top supper. Since I'm not at royal court, however, I will settle for a fantastic herbed chicken and rice pilaf dinner. It cooks in a slow cooker, but it looks like it belongs on the plate of a royal.

Comments