What I'm Loving: Freeing Up Time

I don't make resolutions, but I do try to give myself projects each year. This year, one of my projects was to simplify where I'm spending my time.

I love the internet. I love reading things. I love finding things. I love following things. I love sharing things that I find. I just love it. But, that means I spend a heck of a lot of time just staring at my computer and phone. That's not really the kind of life I want to leave. So, I took some time a few weeks back to Marie Kondo my digital life.


I stopped following some Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter accounts. I hid some items in my Facebook news feed. I went to town on deleting subscriptions in my Feedly reader. I even unsubscribed from a bunch of emails and newsletters. I unsubscribed from podcasts. Heck, I even cleared out my bookmarks.

All of this means that I'm finishing up my usual reading a lot earlier. That has given mean more time to focus on other things I like to do. Since I lost commuting time to read magazines, I can now read those at night. I've been practicing my french more. I've even gotten more little projects done around the house because I've given myself a bit more time to tackle them. I have more time now to send out snail mail. I do so love sending happy mail to people. I can get back to my coloring books!


Even my weekends are freer! Right now, what I'm really looking forward to is the chance to start this beautiful puzzle The Husband gave me for Christmas. It's the northern lights and so pretty I might need to frame it afterwards. It's going to take me awhile to complete, but now I have the time to do it!
The one thing I think I love the most though, is that I'm reading more books. I tend to go to bed earlier since I close my laptop earlier, and that means more reading before sleep. If a book is good, I have more time to read it. If I'm really tired, however, I've now given myself some more precious minutes of sleep.

I still love the internet and everything the web offers, but I plan on being more intentional in what I choose to follow. It's all about balance and, right now, I like where I'm headed.

Comments