What I'm Loving: Baking Bread

Last Sunday, I realized I needed to use up some buttermilk that was leftover from a bundt cake recipe. I decided to make Budget Byte's buttermilk pull-apart rolls. It's an easy recipe that left my apartment smelling wonderful and gave me carbs to nibble on all week.

There was still leftover buttermilk to be used this past weekend so I made the rolls again. I find joy in measuring and mixing ingredients and then watching the dough grow in size through each of the rises. I've always loved baking but I usually stick to quick breads, cookies, and cakes. Yeast leavened breads are something I do rarely, but the past two weekends have made me extraordinarily happy.


Yeast breads take time and patience. Sure, the recipes and mixing may be easy, but you need to leave time for the rises. You also have to create the perfect, warm environment for the yeast to work their magic. I've found that leaving the range-hood light on and covering my dough with a beeswax wrap creates the perfect warm cocoon to let the dough grow. During each of the rises, I had time to run errands and tackle some to do list items. While the rolls baked, I enjoyed a Hallmark movie and savored the aroma of fresh bread filling my home.

Somehow, I still have buttermilk left, so I'll probably make another batch of these magic rolls. Or, who knows, maybe I'll find another bread recipe to try. I would love to get my hands into a dough ball that needs kneading. I've had my eye on this rosemary olive oil bread for quite a while. I could also try my hand at focaccia or this advanced but delectable looking scallion pancake challah.

Comments