What I Read This Week: January 27, 2019


Yesterday, I attended my second sound bath meditation. It's so relaxing. I really ought to start participating in these events more often. If you've never done a sound bath, it's basically a session where you get comfy (stretchy pants are encouraged) on a floor mat (with or without pillows) and the instructor moves through a series of sounds. There can be some gong, some rain pans or sticks, salt or crystal singing bowls, and other soothing sounds. A sound bath is a great option for people who don't meditate well in silence. I find that it also gives me the same sort of chills and relaxation sensation I get from watching ASMR videos.

  • Work
    • College & Research Libraries News, January 2019 - The most interesting article in this issue was about dyslexia-friendly fonts. The fonts are specially designed to help "anchor" letters which makes it easier for those with dyslexia to read. I also liked the article on roving reference services.
    • When I started my new job back in October, I saw it as an excuse to finally subscribe to the Marketing Library Services newsletter. These newsletters have been rolling in for a few months, and I found some time on Friday to read them all. Not everything is useful, but I do love learning about best practices and snagging ideas from other librarians.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, February 2019 - I read this issue the day it arrived in my inbox but it took me three days to add it to this list. In that time, I completely forgot about everything I read. So, I guess that means nothing in this issue was all that memorable. After going back through the index, my memory was triggered and I can recommend that article about how to enjoy alone time. I also recalled liking the piece about how not to kill your houseplants. I can't grow herbs indoors to save my life but everything else in our apartment seems to be doing okay. One of the tiny shrubs I bought years ago is basically a tree now.
  • Books
    • I polished off Rich People Problems. It nicely wrapped up all the story-lines in the Crazy Rich Asians series. It puts a bit of a nice bow on things but, sometimes, I'm okay with that. Everyone gets the ending they deserve.

Comments