What I Read This Week: January 20, 2019


It feels like I spent most of this week gingerly walking to work. Ever since DC got walloped with 10ish inches of snow, I've been keeping an eye out for ice. I love walking to work but this week it felt more like a game of chance. Is that wet spot just wet or am I about to recreate the icecapades? Better not risk it. Let's walk in the gross snow pile instead.

At least I got to see some excellent friends and play with a puppy this weekend! Puppies make everything better.
  • Magazines
    • Eating Well, January/February 2019 - This title replaces Cooking Light. My subscription automatically rolled over so I thought I would leave it be to decide if the title is worth keeping. So far, eh. It's not that it's bad, it's just not Cooking Light. There do appear to be more recipes (which I like) but none of the articles enthused me. The most interesting piece was about Carla Hall trying to bring soul food back to its vegetable roots. 
    • The Atlantic, January/February 2019 - The cover story about American rage was rather interesting. It took a sort of scientific look at the roots of anger. That looks says that anger, when used appropriately, can actually be a good agent for change.
      That's why having an argument can sometimes clear the air and protest driven by righteous rage can be effective. But anger has been weaponized and made into entertainment. That makes it's damaging and destructive. It's a good piece and I highly recommend it. As for the rest of the issue, I think the only other story worth a look was about Tibet's love of basketball. I had no idea that was a thing. Oh! And I fully embrace the argument in the article behind dropping the alphabet soup that is LGBTQIAA+ and just going with Q. 
  • Books
    • My library hold for Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan came in on Tuesday. I picked it up the day it was available for me to pick up. This is the last book in the Crazy Rich Asians series and I cannot wait to see how all the story-lines wrap up. So far, the drama is absurd and excellent.

Comments