What I Read This Week: January 13, 2019


It looks like DC is finally getting some snow! I got smacked in the face with graupel on my walk to work Wednesday, but the stuff we're seeing this weekend is of the prettier variety. I have no real plans for today so I am happy if this keeps up and ends in a boom scenario. Not likely, but a girl can dream. Besides, I love and excuse to stay inside and read while drinking hot cocoa.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, January 2019 - This issue was all about modern medicine. The cover story discussed the new landscape of personalized medicine. Results appear to be promising but this is the cutting edge of science. There was also an article on Eastern medicine which focuses on things like acupuncture and herbal remedies. Discussing the benefits of these treatments right after the modern medicine piece provokes some interesting considerations. Finally, there was an article about the problems in maternal health specifically where childbirth is concerned. While the article doesn't outright state that racism and sexism compound the problem, I will. 
  • Books
    • I finished The Year of Cozy early in the week. It was essential a lifestyle blog in book form. There were also so tasty looking recipes in there.
    • It didn't take me long to fall in love with The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang. The night I started it, I had to force myself to go to bed. I love it when stories make me want to read past my bedtime.
  • Other
    • A few weeks ago, I subscribed to the Washington Post's Zero to Dinner Party Newsletter. It's a pretty great newsletter but I got Week 5 this week and it was excellent. It explored the different flavors we taste and how to adjust your recipes to suit them if one flavor is too strong or weak. Reading this just makes me want to cook and experiment with ingredients. [Washington Post - Voraciously]

Comments