The Friday Find: Call out its name!

I could have shared this find MONTHS ago, but the idea to do so just popped in to my brain now. Last year, I was delightfully surprised to discover that Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is a fantastic movie. In fact, it's now one of my favorites.

It all started when I came home one day to The Husband watching the film. He was just over halfway through and I decided to humor him and watch the rest. I thought the whole thing was going to be over-the-top, awful, and contrived.

I was wrong. I was so wrong. As soon as the movie was over, I asked him if we could watch it again from the beginning. Since then, we have watched the flick at least 20 times. At least!

This movie is a delight! It's more than your average kid/teen film. There is nuance to it. It saves the best parts of the original and puts a modern spin on the tale. On top of that, it's remarkably well-produced with even better acting. Jack Black, and I'm not being hyperbolic, should have earned several acting awards for his role. He portrays a teenage girl trapped in a middle-aged man's body... AND YOU BELIEVE HIM THE WHOLE TIME. He has the vocal intonations and mannerisms down perfectly.

The rest of the cast is simply fantastic. I always loved The Rock, but here he plays vulnerable and kick-ass at the same time. Karen Gillan is phenomenal as a self-conscious teen girl who finds herself playing a powerful woman. And Kevin Hart is just hysterical. He takes on the jock who gets stuck as the side-kick.

The script is not as trite as you'd expect and the overall plot makes sense. This is more than a teen movie. There are life lessons about courage, compassion, and self-esteem woven throughout the film without hitting you over the head with a morality lesson.

I could go on about how awesome this film is, but you really just ought to watch it.


Interested in this excellent flick? It's currently streaming on Hulu and Starz. You can also purchase it on Amazon.

Comments