Pairings: A Touch of Childhood


This Pairings is a reversed from how I usually do it. The food is coming first. Last week, our University's student center held it's Extravaganza event. I didn't tend the event, but I benefited from the leftover desserts. I was able to raid the cookies while I worked the Reference desk. There was a stash of delectable oatmeal raisin cookies that had not yet been devoured by the students. (I was that weird kid who actually liked oatmeal raisin cookies.) This was a good cookie. It was soft and chewy with plump raisins that tasted sweet and a little bit tangy. Eating that cookie made me want to make a batch of my own. Instead of cookies, however, I want to make these Martha Stewart oatmeal raisin bars. That way, I can eat them and say they're breakfasty. They're not. But let's pretend.


The idea of making these bar cookies reminded me of the American Girl series. I want to pair a comforting childhood eat with a book series I enjoyed as a kid. I particularly loved Kristen's story. She's no longer one of the popular American Girls, but I loved her tale of her migration from Sweden to the United States. Her family journeys from New York to Minnesota and encounters other migrants, change, and the vastness of their new country along the way. It's a great juvenile book and I wish I could get my hands on it for a reread.

Comments