What I Read This Week: December 9, 2018


I think my cable box is judging me. Every time I sat down to binge some Hallmark Channel movies it asked me if I was "still watching" after a few hours. Of course I'm still watching! These movies are magical comfort viewing. Let me have this without your side eye!
  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, October 2018 - I work at an institution with an incredibly diverse patron population. The article in this issue about minimizing and addressing implicit bias is incredibly important to my work. As a white woman, I am constantly trying to check my responses to make sure my bias is not influencing how I serve patrons.
    • College and Research Libraries News, November 2018 - There were a couple of good pieces in this issue, but I think the most important was ACT UP. While I like the CRAAP test because students respond well to the sauciness, it's not perfect. ACT UP is a different way of teaching source evaluation that I think more students will connect to. It brings out more levels of evaluations that are important to not just academic research but personal research needs. It also brings evaluating privilege in to the mix which I don't think gets mentioned enough. 
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, November 2018 - I tend to love November issues for the all the food stories. In this case, I adored the article on how to raise a minimalist kid. It offered great ideas and lessons that are perfect to start off the holiday season. Speaking of holiday season, there's always a ton of hosting and visiting involved. This issue included a very practical article on how to be a good guest and good host. Finally, the recipes that were included in this month's issue focused on meals that were great for the non-Thanksgiving days.
  • Books
    • I finished Untamed. For my first romance novel in a long time, this was a fun read. The book itself was fine, but I loved how much is reminded me of the joy I get reading this genre. I might need to slip a few more of these into my reading more often.
    • I started (and nearly finished) A Torch Against the the Night by Sabaa Tahir. This second book in the series is even more addictive than the first. It's taking every ounce of my willpower not to look up spoilers online.

Comments