What I Read This Week: December 23, 2018


I love a good weekend that is the start of a long break. Our library is closed until the new year. I plan on enjoying the holidays with The Husband and his parents. I also plan on getting a lot of stuff done around the apartment. What's a break without a long to do list? You should see how many loads of laundry I plan to do later this week. If it can be washed, it will be washed.

  • Work
    • I can't even begin to list all of the articles I read this week. There were a lot but nothing outstanding enough to share.
    • I did read the December 2018 issue of College and Research Libraries News. It was fine. I think my colleague might get something out of the assessment article so I passed the issue along to her.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, December 2018 - The main feature article, The Bible Hunters, focused on the quests of academics and collectors to find sacred texts. There is an on-going race to uncover new objects while saving the scrolls and texts we know about. These items are incredibly fragile but their importance to scholarship is undeniable. There is also a tug of war between academics, private collectors, and sellers which leads to forgeries, exorbitant prices, and looting from war zones and archaeological sites. This issue also featured a story about how the thirst for palm oil is leading to vast deforestation. Gabon is hoping to fulfill market demand while leaving its wilderness intact. I knew about the environmental toll of the crop, but the article enlightened me to all the uses of palm oil and other palm products.
  • Books
    • I'm still working on reading A Reaper at the Gates. It's a really good book, but I'm so tired by the time I go to bed that if I read more than 10 pages it's a good night. I hope I get more time to read over the holidays, but we hosting the in-laws so it's not too likely.

Comments