What I Read This Week: December 16, 2018


I spent most of this week just befuddled by how fast 2018 is coming to a close. I spent all of Friday prepping for our annual holiday party. (Why do I make so many desserts that require me to use my cookie scoop?). I spent the first part of Saturday working the reference desk and then the second part seeing all the friends who could attend our festive shindig. Needless to say, I'm spending today eating leftovers, watching football, and, possibly, taking a nap.

Good week.

  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, December 2018 - The cover story about sex recession was utterly fascinating. I'm not sure I agree with all of the opinions but it offered tremendous insight into sex, relationships, and dating these days. I also thought the story on exorcisms was worth a read. I still think that most demonic possession can be explained by mental health issues or diagnoses, but there are things science and psychology still can't explain. It's interesting how people turn to faith and the Church in those instances. The rest of the issue was fleshed out with other good stories so The Atlantic is ending the year on a high note.
  • Books
    • I polished off A Torch Against the Night in the wee hours of last weekend. It was sooooo good. There was no sophomore slump here. If anything, the second book in this series was better than the first.
    • Continuing my quest to consume this series as fast as I can, I started Reaper at the Gates. This book is deeper in to the mysticism now and I am here. for. it. I also just discovered that the author, Sabaa Tahir, is working on a book 4. UGH! I don't want to wait now.

Comments