The Friday Find: Flu Shot

This week, for the first time ever, I got a flu shot. I should have been getting them for years, but now that I sit regularly on the reference desk, it's necessary to help me stay healthy. The flu can be a bump in the road for healthy people but it's deadly to certain populations. It's vital that as many people as possible get the vaccine to keep up herd immunity. The flu shot doesn't just protect you, it keeps everyone you come in contact with a little bit safer as well.

While the vaccine is not always 100% effective at preventing the flu, it can lesson the symptoms if you do get the virus. It also reduces major complications, hospitalizations, and risks of death.



You can flu shots at most major pharmacy chains, healthy clinics, or at events held around your town. I was able to get my flu shot during my regular physical exam. I am no fan of needles, but the process is quick and, most likely, covered by your insurance. (The tetanus booster I got in the other arm made me pout more than the flu shot.) If you really don't like needles, there are nasal spray versions available.

You can learn more about the seasonal flu vaccine from the CDC website. If you need to locate where you can get a flu shot, please search in the widget below.

Comments