Pairings: Comfort


About once a year, I get the urge to reread a favorite book. That favorite is almost always Outlander. I know what I'm getting every time I crack open the cover - romance, history, and drama with dash of mysticism and fairy dust. This is the perfect book for cold weather. It's lengthy but drives you to read so all you want to do is stay inside and finish the story. Jaime and Claire are perfectly matched characters who push and pull each other through all the drama and mystery. And the supporting cast is a whole town of folks who enrich and enliven the narrative. Gabaldon's prose can sometimes skirt flowery but she makes up for it with a text that is dripping in historical research and details. It's no wonder that two reference companions have come out of this series. There is so much to the story that it stays with you even when you've finished the last page.


This week, the weather took a decided turn towards winter. It was cold and blustery. The local weather folks are even calling for a wintry mix tomorrow. (Too soon!) Whenever the seasons change like this, I end up wanting to hobbit. I want to stay indoors, where it's warm, with a bowl of something hearty to fill me. On Monday, I made this phenomenal vegetable pot pie skillet from Budget Bytes. (I did add some diced chicken since we need to make room in our freezer.) It was soooo tasty! The gravy is stick-to-you good without being too rich. The veggies make you feel healthy. And, the biscuits, *kisses fingers.* Anytime I use my cast iron skillet, I feel like I'm ready to cook over an open flame in the woods. The home-style nature of this dish pairs beautifully with the highlander landscape of Gabaldon's book. All the ingredients work together to create a hearty and warming meal that you'll want to make again and again.

Comments