What I Read This Week:



In sad news, for me, I had to send my computer out at the end of this week to have a screen issue checked out. I started noticing ghosting and vertical lines on the screen - but only when set against a dark background. And, the problem got worse the longer I used my computer. Luckily, my computer still has some months left under warranty. I'm just pouting because I love this new laptop and, aside from that issue, it's been performing beautifully. Until it comes back, I'll be using an iPad and reading my growing stack of magazines. Somehow, I see this increasing my daily reading time.

  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, October 2018 - This issue focused on the topic of democracy and whether or not it's dying. Scare mongering? Maybe. Thought provoking? For sure. Instead of several long articles, this issue was composed of many shorter articles. I highly recommend reading "Why Technology Favors Tyranny," "Madison v. The Mob," and "The Threat of Tribalism." In addition to those feature bits, I liked the story about how humans are causing some animals to become nocturnal. Our activities are causing them to change their migration patterns and feeding habits. I also like the piece about how brands are trying to surprise and delight us... and why that might not be the best thing.
  • Books
    • I'm making a surprising amount of headway in How Paris Became Paris. It's structured to tell the story of how Paris became a modern city by focusing on one change at a time. So far I've read about Le Pont Neuf, Le Place Royale, and Ile Saint-Louis. It's utterly fascinating and a shockingly entertaining read.

Comments