What I Read This Week: October 14, 2018


It still feels weird that I commute to work on foot to a new office everyday. I'm not used to that. I'm also not used to working shifts on the reference desk. I'm sure it will become routine at some point but, right now, I'm still trying to figure out what work I can do on the desk that can be interrupted at any time. I also don't want to make it look like I'm so involved in a project that patrons can't ask me questions. It's a delicate balance that I'm still noodling over.

In other news... IT'S FINALLY FALL! It was actually chilly enough for me to wear a coat to work on Friday. That's a good thing because our building transitioned to from AC to heat on Thursday and sleep would have been impossible if the temperature had not plummeted outside.

  • Work
    • Lots of articles and newsletters about marketing. One thing I decided I could while on the reference desk was reading online articles. It's really easy to drop that off and pick it up in between questions. During my first week on the job, I added a lot of library related marketing material to my Feedly reader. This week, I added general industry wide information on the subject. In case you're interested, the list below are a few of the news sources I find the most interesting so far.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, October 2018 - One of the stories I really liked in this issue was about how to raise a problem-solving kid. It runs directly against the current of helicopter parenting. Plus, the tips are all doable. It basically argues to let your kid be creative and to try and fail. There was also a touching story about a boy with a rare disease that essentially makes him allergic to sunlight. His entire family, friends, and town come together to give him as normal a life as possible. 
  • Books
    • The Husband had some audio books ready for pick up at the library last weekend. Since I am physically incapable of leaving a library without something, I grabbed Lagom: The Swedish Art of Living a Balanced, Happy Life by Niki Brantmark. I grabbed this title for two reasons 1.) It was on my TBR list 2.) I knew it would be easy to stop and pick up later because...
    • ... on Wednesday, the hold I had been waiting for came in. I'm now reading China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan. It's the second book in the series and I just have to know how all of the story-lines pan out... before the third book. Since this book has a ton of holds on it, I'm going to do my best to read it as fast as I can. 

Comments