What I'm Loving: Scent Memories

In first grade, my teacher wore perfume. It was slightly floral with a hint of spice. She was a wonderful and warm woman who indulged my questions and need to read any book I could get my hands on. To this day, anytime another woman walks by wearing that perfume, I'm immediately transported back to that classroom.

Her perfume is one of the strongest scent memory I have, but it's not the only one. On the occasions, The Husband puts on his cologne, I'm reminded of our first dates and I feel giddy all over again. The aroma of peanut M&Ms reminds me of couch time with my mom. We would pour them into a bowl and snack while watching movies. That slightly tangy aroma of a old carpet reminds me of the bookstore I used to work at.

These are all scent memories that send me back to happy and contented moments in my life. I can't usually control when these scent memories happen, but there is one new on that I can.



This past spring, my friend Beth and I went on our first ever girls weekend spa trip. It was amazing and indulgent and such a perfect weekend that it's my new mental happy place. The spa used a signature scent, cucumber honeysuckle, for its bathing ritual. It was light and refreshing, but also screamed luxury and indulgence. The scent was infused into all the products and lightly perfumed the air. One deep inhale of that aroma and I'm back in the cold plunge pool enjoying a full day of pampering and girl time.


Luckily for me, the spa sold bath wash and body lotion in the scent. Right now, every time I shower, I can inhale the aroma of cucumber honeysuckle and fully wash away the stress of the day. I love that I can easily trigger this scent memory of a trip of that makes me feel so happy and self-loved.

Comments