Pairings: A Slice of Home


Some books just remind you of home. It could be the subject matter or, in this case, the memory. When I was growing up, my childhood bed sat in front of one of my bedroom windows. This was my makeshift window seat. On nice days, I would open the window, make a nest of pillows for myself and read for hours while the breeze ruffled my hair and the pages of my book.

I can vividly recall that this was how I read the first three books in the Harry Potter series. My family was visiting Toronto and, one evening,  we opted to go to a movie. My mom and younger brother had been reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone together so we opted to see the film that was just released. I knew nothing of Harry Potter or why people were excited. One viewing of the film and I was in. I even made my mom take me to see it again the next night while my brother and father went to a hockey game.

As soon as we were back home, I grabbed the books we had and headed to my room. Into my makeshift window seat I went and I didn't stop reading until I had finished everything. Then, I became one of the many who was anxiously awaiting the next book's release. But those first three books, particularly Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, will always remind me of home and family.


In our home, you never tossed old bananas. You put them in the freezer to be used for bread. When there were enough, my mom would make a loaf or two banana bread. I loved waking up on a Saturday morning, cutting a thick slice of freshly made banana bread and slathering on butter or peanut butter. It was heaven.

I continued this tradition in my own home. We never throw away bananas, they get used for bread and The Husband discovered a wonderful banana bread recipe from Lemons & Anchovies. Technically, you should add chocolate to this recipe, but it's delicious without that mix-in. I also like to double the amount of vanilla extract because that suits my taste. No matter how you make it, banana bread tastes of home.

Comments