What I'm Loving: Library Binges

Over a year ago, our local library branch closed to be remodeled. Well, I say remodeled, but it was demolished and rebuilt entirely. Every time I walked past the site, I would get to see the building look a little bit taller and a little more finished. Once the building was up, I could peek through the windows and see the shelving go up and fill with books, chairs and tables started to fill the rooms, and I even got to see them test the digital screens. It was fun to see how everything came together.


About two weeks ago, the library reopened. This weekend, I was able to pick up my first requested hold and explore the new space. The old library had a cozy, neighborly feel. The new version is far chicer and resembles a hip coffee shop in places. The style is very mid-century modern and offers a great mix of public and quiet space. It's also one story taller than the old building allowing for more patron and collection space. It's not a huge library by any means, but it is a welcoming space. I'm so happy that I get to use this branch every month.


While I was picking up my library hold, I also knew that I wanted to grab two titles that were housed at our branch. That led to me grabbing a few books on the shelf next to my selected picks. Then I just had to have the two new Wonder Woman comics that caught my eye. The next thing I knew, I was using the self-checkout to scan my huge stack of books. Thankfully, I had the foresight to bring a bag to carry everything home.


I absolutely loved my library binge. It reminded me of my time as a kid in Florida. I would bike to our neighborhood branch and check out a veritable stash of paperbacks to read in my room. I went almost every week in the summer. I missed having that easy access to new reading material when our local branch closed here. Now, I look forward to resuming my walks to see what new things there are to checkout.

Comments