What I Read This Week: July 8, 2018


As much as I love DC, I do not love the heat waves that regularly happen in the summer. This week, we endured temperatures in the high 90s with the heat index touching 110. No thank you. I did, however, enjoy that it was a short week. A friend hosted a party for the Fourth and it was great to go to a small gathering and avoid the teeming masses on The Mall. You have to do those fireworks at least once, but I've done that and no longer want to deal with the crowds or the chaos of the metro afterwards.
  • Professional
    • This week, I read an article called "Shame: The Emotional Basis of Library Anxiety" by Erin L. McAfee. It reminds me that the number one skill librarians need to have is customer service. So often people think they're interrupting librarians or their interactions leave them thinking librarians are cold and uncaring. That has got to change. I love helping patrons. I wish I could do it more often!
  • Magazines
    • Food Network, July/August 2018 - Ever since we lost easy access to a grill, the summer issues of food magazines have been less exciting to me. If we still had a grill, I would be all over the summer meats and summer BBQ recipes in this issue. Instead, I'll see what I can do with the shortcake variations and watermelon ideas... although it is hard to figure out how to use a whole watermelon between two people.
    • Real Simple, July 2018 - It's been some time since I wanted to say, "Just read the whole issue." about this magazine. But, just read the whole issue. Instead of recommending everything I want to recommend - cause it would just be every page - I will highlight my two favorite articles. First,
      you definitely should read the science of clean eating. Then, you should read about raising kids to be smart with money. Finally, just go ahead and read everything else.
    • The Atlantic, July/August 2018 - I always knew that we weren't prepared for the next outbreak, but the pandemic article has me more than a little bit terrified. Can we please fund the necessary public health and research programs? The article on how being black reduces your lifespan just made me sad. There are inherent biases in how we treat neighborhoods due to their demographics and that has a profound impact on people's lives and livelihoods. Finally, I'm a bit torn on the cover story about trans people. On the one hand, I'm glad that it looks at people who have regretted their transitions. On the other hand, I think it makes the problem seem far more pervasive than it is which can have a negative impact on people who really are trans and want need/treatment and services. 
  • Books
    • I finished reading The Most Beautiful Walk in the World. It was not quite what I expected it to be (a book about walking through Paris) but it was still good. I still want to go back to Paris... and track down that bacon lardon baguette that I still dream about years later.
    • My current long read is Likeable Social Media by Dave Kerpen. Since I run my library's social media, I always think it's a good idea to read about best practices. So far, this book is very easy to read and the insights of helpful.
    • I also finished reading Overview by Benjamin Grant. This coffee table book was all over the home design blogs I follow. I really liked the images in the book but the message of being kind to the Earth was even better.
  • Other
    • One of my favorite movies is Wonder Woman. I could opine forever about how feminist the film is, but this post about the costume design only adds to my respect for the filmmakers. [Tom and Lorenzo]

Comments