What I Read This Week: July 29, 2018


If it was possible to tilt the country to shake all our rain towards Texas and California, I would do that. There was so much rain this week that trees were falling over from ground saturation alone. On top of that, my metro stop began it's 45-day closure for rebuilding. That forced me and thousands of others on to shuttle buses. At least the extra commuting time meant more time for reading and people watching as we were stuck in traffic. There are a lot of awesome looking umbrellas in the world.

  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, August 2018 - The cover story on sleep offered some great science reporting... it also makes me think I need to take more naps. This issue also discussed two topics that showed the impact of human action on animals. The first was about poisonings in Africa and the second was about butterfly collecting. Both stories show that, unless we provide economic alternatives, those in need will do what they have to in order to preserve their livelihoods. 
  • Books
    • I polished off Likeable Social Media. The book is already outdated but the lessons seem evergreen. I plan on reviewing the action points before I return it to the library so that I can make sure I grab all the important stuff.
    • I started and finished reading By Hand: The Art of Modern Lettering by Nicole Miyuki Santo. This was one of my favorite books on hand-lettering - I loved the structure and #aesthetics.
    • Continuing my desire to learn all the things about being awesome at Instagram, I started reading Styling for Instagram by Leela Cyd.
    • Lastly, my library hold of Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan was fulfilled. I'm only a few chapters in to the book but I am already addicted. Is it too early to place a hold request for the next book in the series?

Comments