What I Read This Week: July 1, 2018


Since hockey is over for the season, The Husband and I have been binge watching the last few seasons of Mad Men. It's weird how many of the show's storylines are applicable to today. Also, while I'm certainly not a fan of all mid-century modern design, I do so love the clean lines and I really want to replace some of the furniture in our apartment.
  • Professional
    • American Libraries, June 2018 - First off, this issue introduced to the fact that a coloring book for library lovers exits. (I think I need it.) Next, there has been a lot of information about how reading in prison is being restricted. This issue had a brief piece which discussed how groups are trying to get more books behind bars. One of the main stories in the issue was a recap of a discussion at the mid-winter conference about whether or not libraries are neutral. (My answer: No.)  Finally, in not shocking news at all, there was an article about libraries educating would be marijuana users.
    • College and Research Libraries News, June 2018 - The most useful article in this issue was about the current trends in academic libraries. I do like to stay informed about those because I find it helps me tailor my own work and research. I also liked the article on process mapping. As our library grows and our departmental tasks change, I think this will be useful to organizing and understanding our project ecosystem.
  • Books
    • Can I go back to Paris? The Most Beautiful Walk in the World really makes me want to go back to my city. I need to amble through the neighborhoods, people watch in cafes, and breath it all in. The author is making me homesick for a city I've never lived in. 

Comments