Book 22: The Pregnancy Countdown Book

Title: The Pregnancy Countdown Book
Author: Susan Magee
Started: May 15, 2018
Finished: May 21, 2018
Pages: 288
Genre: Non-Fiction / Pregnancy

First Sentence: I'm going to tell you something about pregnancy that I wish someone had tole me flat out, straight up, and early on: Pregnancy is wonderful, joyful, and miraculous.

Summary: [From BN] The average pregnancy lasts 280 days—and the suspense can be excruciating! The Pregnancy Countdown Book counts down the biggest milestones every step of the way, with one page of helpful information for each day of your pregnancy. Here are tips from doctors and mothers, amusing anecdotes and quotes, and all of the uncensored details that other books won’t tell you. The perfect gift for expecting moms of all ages, The Pregnancy Countdown Book is a delightfully irreverent look at the craziest nine months of your life.

Thoughts: I am so glad I decided to read this pregnancy book first. I can't say I learned too much (although I did learn some) but I love the honesty and girlfriendy feel of this book. There are quotes from moms who've been through pregnancy and it was nice to read those from the trenches insights. I also liked that the medical advice was realistic and that the book always reminded the reader that every pregnancy is different.

I was a bit bummed that the countdown aspect was really only a framing device. Each day sorta counts down that part of the pregnancy but I was really hoping for more to do lists, symptom lists, etc. That said, it worked as a way to ease you through the months and weeks of pregnancy.

I also liked that the book was clear about how pregnancy is hard and longer than you might be ready for. The honesty is going to help me survive those final weeks and any overdue days I might go.

Rating: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments