What I Read This Week: June 24, 2018


Our library is transitioning to a new catalog system. The entire back-end system and front-facing patron portal we're using is changing come mid-July. This week was the last few days of our old system. That meant I was rushing as fast as humanly possible to do as much as I could before we lost access. I cleared so many long term projects off my desk but, man, did it leave me tired. I routinely got 9,000 to 10,000 steps before I left the office. Now, we face a month of no catalog. Luckily, I created a whole list of things my staff and I can do before the new system goes live.

As a reward, The Husband and I booked a long weekend in Virginia wine country AND got to spend this weekend with some of our best friends and their puppy. Best rewards ever!

  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, July 2018 - The cover story left me asking if humans have truly become better athletes or if it's all in the tech. The story argues that it's a mix of both. We can be stronger, better, faster because we know how to get the most out of our bodies. It does make me want to see if how the best athletes from history would do against modern athletes if they had the same tech. There was also a story that made me want to go coo at some bats... even if they are rather vicious hunters. Finally, Puerto Rico is still in the dark and recovering from hurricane Maria. We need to do better.
  • Books
    • I finished The Lying Game early in the week. I was a bit disappointed in the ending. It was a sort of etch-a-sketch to end things. It felt rushed and dampened the mystery for me. All in all, however, it was a tense and thrilling read.
    • My new book is John Baxter's The Most Beautiful Walk in the World. It's about Paris and being a pedestrian... all my favorite things. I am already halfway through the book because I love the subject matter so much.

Comments