What I Read This Week: May 13, 2018


In some sort of random feat of reading this week, I managed to plow through almost all my magazines. I've still got one and a third to go, but I love it when my bin is empty. I might manage to do accomplish that by tomorrow. Woohoo!

In other news, I tried a new lunch this week - veggie and hummus pitas. Since the weather has taken a turn for the better, I've been craving fresh vegetables (mainly cucumber) like woah. This lunch fit the bill perfectly. There was crunch, there was creamy, there was zest, and I was so satisfied that I might need to do this again. Also, anyone else notice that Halo mandarins are really good right now? The Husband and I have been downing them by the 5lb crate load.

  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, May 2018 - This magazine might be why I'm craving veggies. This was the "spring awakening" recipe issue and there were so many tasty looking things to do with produce I'm surprised I didn't just keep the whole issue. I also loved the article on mushrooms because it included a bunch of health information about the fungi that I did not know. There was also a brief piece on bone health. As a non-milk drinker, I'm glad to see there are other ways to keep osteoporosis at bay.
    • Cooking Light, June 2018 - The main story in this issue was all about probiotics. The microbiome is a relatively new area of scientific and diet study, but it's incredibly important. I liked
      reading about foods and cooking methods that will keep my gut happy. Most of the recipes showed which foods are good for your gut and why. Mmmm, yogurt.
    • The Atlantic, May 2018 - I went in to the cover story with a skeptical stance. This feature was all about how the presidency has become too hard of a job to do. By the end, I was convinced. There is no way one person should be expected to do everything we expect a President to do. We want them to be smart but common, empathetic but hawkish, media saavy but not narcisstic, we want them to know everything and do everything but still trust the bureaucracy below them. There is no way that one person can embody all of those things
      successfully. Maybe it is time that we had a Head of State and a Head of Government.... elected, of course. The saddest article in this issue was about the plunging morale in the armed forces. Our members of the military feel forgotten and overstretched. When morale is this low, it's bad for defense. Aside from those two pieces, I also recommend the article on the mob-sponsored hockey team and civic activism by players in the NFL.
  • Books
    • I'm nearly halfway through Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade. This book reminds me why I love the Outlander series so much (great characters, fleshed out scenes, and intriguing narrative) but I really ought to have read a summary of the books before this one. There are a lot of names that I know I should know but I can't seem to remember.

Comments