What I Read This Week: May 27, 2018


This was a great week. The office was quiet but productive. The weather was lovely. My hockey team is being freaking awesome. I had dinner with a friend and we gabbed for hours. Oh, and it's a three day weekend. More of these good vibes please!
  • Magazines
    • Food Network, June 2018 - There were a lot of chicken recipes in this issue. You could have chicken fried, baked, or in a salad. My favorite recipes, however, were the no churn ice creams. I love when you can make a dessert without needing special equipment. One of the fun bits of this issue was an tiny, sponsored insert all about butter. It talked about way to cook with butter, ways to garnish with butter, and offered techniques for making butter work better.
    • Real Simple, June 2018 - The bulk of this issue was devoted to getting things done. One article focused on tackling those one-day projects that might be on your to do list. There was also a story about unplugging from your phone to recharge.
      We rely on our phones to get us through anxiety and that causes us to stress when we don't have them. I also liked the piece about how to throw a party with heart - it's not about planning, it's about people. The article in this issue that I loved the most was about developing a family motto or two to teach your kids. You're basically trying to find some brief words or phrase that will stick with your kid through repetition and demonstration by example. The magazine included a few ideas, but I immediately thought of a phrase from the recent life-action Cinderella film - "Have courage and be kind."
    • National Geographic, June 2018 - The cover for this issue
      might be one of the best I have ever seen. The vast majority of stories were about plastic, how it came about, why it's bad, and how we can start to do something about it. (Team reusable bags all the way!) Aside from that, I greatly enjoyed the pieces on the exotic bird trade (with the pretty, pretty pictures) and new archaeological research around the lost colony of Roanoke.
  • Books
    • I finished reading Lord John and The Brotherhood of The Blade. The result of the overall mystery through the book seemed to wrap up out of nowhere, but I still enjoyed the story.
    • Now I am reading Capture Your Style by Aimee Song. It's a book about kicking but at Instagram. I'm trying to up my game, so I am very much enjoying learning from someone who is great at the medium.
  • Other
    • MY CAPS ARE GOING TO THE STANLEY CUP FINALS! WOOOOO! So of course I read a ton of stuff about the Game 7 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning.
      • Washington Capitals are heading to Stanley Cup finals, extinguish Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 7 [Washington Post]
      • Who are these guys in the Capitals sweaters? Surely not those of so many playoff heartbreaks. [Washington Post]
      • Capitals fans unleash the joy: ‘I want to high-five everyone in here right now’ [Washington Post]
      • Oveckin, Holtby shine in Game 7, Caps beat Lightning 4-0 [WTOP]
      • Photos: Caps fans flood DC streets after game 7 win [WTOP]
      • LISTEN: Hear the final epic call in Caps-Lightning Game 7 [WTOP] You'll also hear all the other key calls. 
      • Caps get early-morning champion's welcome at Dulles Airport [WTOP]
      • Just read the entirety of this week's posts from my favorite sports blog: Russian Machine Never Breaks.Oddly enough, there are so many fans the server gets overloaded. Just hit refresh.

Comments