What I'm Loving: A New Wine Grape

I'm drafting this post while savoring the final sips of my new favorite wine grape: Vermentino. It's a light-bodied white with hints of pineapple and cantaloupe on the tongue and grapefruit and almond on the finish. There's a slight fizz to this vintage which makes it seem summery and light. This wine pairs well with grilled seafood and vegetables, lazy Sunday evenings, and bad disaster films.

Last fall, the Husband and I went on a small tour of Italy. It took us all of two days to establish a routine of enjoying an early evening "first dinner" and people watching at a neighborhood restaurant after a long day of sightseeing. We would order an appetizer or two and split a half-bottle of wine while chatting and watching the city wind down from the day. A cheese plate and a good vintage of local vino is my favorite way to experience a piazza. Every night, we would watch the locals stride home while the tourists looked for a place to have dinner that night. Tour groups mixed with people walking there dogs who were almost always off-leash while the sun set through the buildings.


In Florence, we stopped at a small restaurant with a large sidewalk patio across from an old church. Our fellow diners murmured in a variety of languages as we watched the light dim in the square. We put in our usual cheese and meat plate order and went with the waiter's recommended bottle of white. It was a new to us grape - vermentino. After two sips which danced on my palate and offered a refreshing citrus body after a long day of walking, I was in love. We enjoyed the bottle between nibbles of farm cheese and prosciutto while chatting about our favorite parts of the day.


During the holidays, I hoped to find this bottle of wine in DC. Our favorite specialty shop didn't carry the exact vintage, but the store recommended another label so I added it to our basket. Last night, we decided to pop open the bottle. The nose of the blend is subtle, but the slight fizz and citrusy taste immediately transported me back to that piazza in Florence.


I'm normally a Chardonnay girl, but this grape is my new favorite white. It's light body and delicate but complex taste make it versatile and I can imagine pairing it with so many foods or enjoying it with the windows open as the summer breeze wafts through our apartment while I cook dinner for the night.

My only regret about this post ending is that I have only have one sip left in my glass. I'm going to close my eyes and enjoy it to the fullest.


Comments