What I Read This Week: April 8, 2018


Winter continues to hang on. The cherry blossoms are out, but the air is cold and the winds are chilly. We even had a bit of snow! I was used to this when I lived in Upstate New York, but it's just crazy for DC. I don't mind a chill in the air, but I am truly ready to put away my winter coat and gloves.
  • Magazines
    • Food Network, April 2018 - I loved that this issue was full of fresh looking recipes that involved a lot of salads and lettuce. It even had a article on the types of lettuce and how to store them. I also liked all the pretty Easter eggs that came from each state. But, I must complain that, once again, the magazine never includes Washington, DC.
    • National Geographic, April 2018 - Never have a seen a magazine be so introspective... and still make errors. At least they're trying. In this issue, Nat Geo looks at its past racist coverage before diving deep into looking at race from a genetic standpoint (hint - there's really nothing there) and the creation of a tribal, Us vs. Them mentality. I'm so glad that
      they're trying to be better - but there were still moments of language that fall flat and care clearly coming from the white as majority perspective. This was particularly true in the Us vs. Them piece where the Us was clearly supposed to be white people and the them is everybody else. Not only do we have to change our attitudes, we have to change our language. Finally, there was a joyful look at the place of Historically Black Colleges and Universities. 
    • The Atlantic, April 2018 - The cover story on Evangelicals was very interesting - it gave a backstory to the moral decline of a group that began before it's turn to Trump. I also enjoyed how this piece reinforced that not everyone is happy with this change.
      I was, however, most fascinated by the story about a con man who faked relationships with multiple women at one time. It was disappointing to read that these crimes are not taken seriously enough by law enforcement. Next, there was an intriguing look at the refugee office in Germany. It discussed what tech and human tools are used to determine if a refugee's story is legitimate or not. Finally, the fiction piece about a couple's trip to Marseilles was a nice diversion.
  • Books
    • I've finished a few chapters of The Cooking Gene and I am absolutely in love already. The writing is rich, the history is well-researched, and the author's story is, so far, fascinating. I can see why this book was on many Best Of lists.
  • Other
    • I, for one, don't mind doing the dishes. Then again, our house always follows the rule that the cook doesn't clean. [The Atlantic]
    • There's a double standard in "free-range" parenting and it, once again, highlights our racial and socio-economic biases. [The Atlantic]
    • I'm starting to lean hard in to minimalism and one of the reasons I refuse to ever pay for a storage unit. I had no idea just how large of an industry it was until I read this article. [Curbed]

Comments