What I Read This Week: April 15, 2018


I feel triumphant! The Computers in Libraries Conference is this coming week and my presentations are done and uploaded. Boom! Never mind the fact that I still need to practice to make sure I don't go over my time...

  • Books
    • I didn't really how much of a memoir The Cooking Gene would be. I don't dislike that it is, I was just obtuse to the fact that this was more memoir than anything else. In fact, I might like the fact that it's more of a memoir. This week, I read a chapter about African American genealogy, and it reminded me of the time the Director for the Smithsonian Museum of African American History said the second person hired was a genealogist. Tracking down historical documents with names of enslaved persons is incredibly difficult but important work.
  • Other
    • I love UrbanStems but they almost failed because of a Valentine's Day fiasco. I'm glad that this local company was able to scale because their work is beautiful and a bit better for the environment than other mail order flower places. [Washington Post]
    • One of my goals this year is to simplify my life and work where I can. I regularly weed my belongings, playlists, and RSS feeds in my personal life, but work is a bit harder. This list for how to simplify your work day looks quite useful. [LinkedIn]

Comments