What I Read This Week: April 1, 2018


It was a short work week for me. Instead of lounging about during my days off, I tackled those ever present errands and to do lists. Our apartment is now clean and so is our laundry. But it wasn't all work, yesterday we had friends over for a game night. Today, I am off to a brew pub to work on a lighting talk for the upcoming Computers in Libraries conference with a former colleague. Who doesn't like professional advancement and beer?

  • Magazines 
    • Cooking Light, April 2018 - Something about this issue just screamed fresh and new. Perhaps it was all the veggie heavy recipes I saved to try out. There were also great articles on salt (and how it relates to health) and pepper (it's more nuanced than you think). I also loved the feature article on how to become a more sustainable cook. I am not a fan of food waste or harming the environment so I am going to tweak some of our food routines with the info I learned in this piece. Finally, the cover story was about low carb pasta dinners and everything looked delicious.
    • Real Simple, April 2018 - This was a great issue! Quite a bit of it was devoted to spring cleaning. One piece recommended
      cleaning tools and products. Another piece broke down cleaning to the time you had. Very useful. I also enjoyed the brief article on how to restart things - like an exercise routine or a friendship. Finally, I liked the article about how to get along better in our divided world. There was nothing revolutionary to the suggested tactics, but it's a good reminder that we can all be kinder and more understanding. 
  • Books
    • I finished Fire and Fury. By the end, I was just tired of it all. Between the book and the news, it was exhausting to just keep reading about this White House. 
    • In a happy set of timing, I finished Fire and Fury just as The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South by Michael Twitty came in for me at the library. I've heard fantastic things about this book and, so far, the accolades are well deserved.
  • Other
    • I agree 100% with this author's insights about how Harry Potter inspired the Parkland generation. [CNN]
    • It shouldn't have to come to this. No black youth or their parents should be afraid in their own neighborhood. [Facebook]

Comments