Readathon Week: What I Love About Readathon


I eagerly anticipate every readathon. It happens every six months and I put the date on my calendar as soon as it is released. I love readathon because it gives me an excuse to devote and entire day to doing something I adore. Reading is an essential part of my life. It feeds my curiosity, entertains my brain, and is my best stress reliever. Readathon lets me overindulge in my favorite activity.

The reason readathon is so special is because it gives me a chance to deliberately fill an entire day with reading. I get to pile of books to look forward to throughout the day. I get to create a menu of food to enjoy. I get to create a cozy zone to settle in to. The day is entirely focused on personal comfort and a comforting activity.

Readathon also has a passionate community behind it. There is a blog that centralizes activity, but readers post updates and insights on Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, and a whole host of other places. People share what they're reading and eating along with pet pictures and "mood shots". This makes the day even more special because, even if you're in a room by yourself, you know you're not alone. I love peeking in and seeing how everyone is doing. The facilitators also encourage people to read and comment on each other's posts and I receive words of encouragement throughout the day.

Readathon is a celebration of a shared hobby that fosters communication and learning. What's not to love?

Comments