Readathon Week: First Book


For the past few years, I've paired my readathon with donations to a good cause. First Book is a wonderful organization that pairs communities and kids in need with necessary educational resources.

Their website states:
First Book transforms the lives of children in need. Through a sustainable, market-driven model, First Book is creating equal access to quality education — making everything from brand new, high quality books and educational resources, to sports equipment, winter coats, snacks, and more – affordable to its member network of more than 375,000 educators who exclusively serve kids in need. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 175 million books and educational resources to programs and schools serving children from low income families in more than 30 countries. First Book currently reaches an average of 3 million children every year and supports more than one in four of the estimated 1.3 million classrooms and programs serving children in need. With an additional 1,000 educators joining each week, First Book is the largest and fastest-growing network of educators in the United States exclusively serving kids in need.
I read for this organization because I want every child to have access to the same resources and opportunities I had growing up. Reading and education are vital for everyone. We need to level the playing field where we can so that every child's curiosity and innate wish to learn are not stymied by a lack of access to resources and tools. Every child deserves to reach their full potential.

During readathon, I commit to donate 5 cents for every page I read to First Book. That's one reason why I load up on quick reads and cookbooks. I'm padding my numbers to increase my donation. 

You can read more about this wonderful organization here.

Also, because I care about quality, First Book has a four start rating from Charity Navigator.

Comments