What I'm Loving: Sports Triumphs

Every two years, like most people, I get really into sports. Like really into them. Normally, I tend to stick to watching hockey and football but, during the Olympics, I want it all. I don't care what event is being covered, if it's on TV and I'm home, that's what I'm watching.

This weekend, The Husband and I enjoyed ice dancing, men's biathalon, curling, and snowboarding to name just a few. But my love of the Olympics is not just for the sports, it's for the triumphs and the release of years of emotions. I tear up every time an athlete, their support team, their coaches, and their families jump for joy and scream in excitement. If anyone is crying... get me a tissue too. Seeing their faces full of victory makes my heart feel happy things.

Last night, when Mirai Nagasu became the first American woman to land a triple axle in Olympic competition, she ended her program with such a primal face of triumph that I nearly jumped off the couch to high-five her. (I could watch this GIF of her all day.) Her release of emotion was so understandable that it's impossible not to join in her joy.


When Chris Mazdzer won a silver in men's luge, his family and friends were screaming and clapping and jumping. One woman (I think his mom), was in immediate tears of joy (and, I would also think, relief). His coaches and support team mobbed him in one of the best group hugs I've ever seen.


My love the Olympics isn't based in nationalism; I don't give a fig about medal counts; and I certainly don't care about the politics surrounding the games. My love is based in seeing driven people achieving their goals. For most, that's not a medal, it's setting a personal best... or even making it to the Olympics at all. Athletes are never alone in their journey. Families, friends, coaches, and all manner of support personnel are behind them. For me, it's impossible not to share in the joy of their personal victories.

Comments