What I Read This Week: February 4, 2018

Happy Superbowl Sunday! The Husband and I will be hosting our annual watch party complete with vats of chili and all the fixins. I normally don't pick a team to root for but, this year, I am Eagles all the way. I'm just tired of the Patriots winning all the time.

In other news, I have jury duty tomorrow. Yeah?
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, February 2018 - The cover story about big brother always watching us gave me mixed feelings. The article itself was well-written, but it caused me to think about all those cameras. On the one hand, you're in public so who cares whose watching. On the other hand, why are we working on the assumption that people need to be monitored at all times? It's like we're assuming all people are bad or potentially bad. I don't like that. In happier stories, there was an awesome piece discussing how birds are actually smart. That story opened with a cute bit about how crows bring presents to a little girl who feeds them. Finally, the story about how China is revolutionizing it's food system was cooler than I thought it would be. 
    • Washingtonian, February 2018 - This should be my last issue of this magazine. I've opted to cancel it as one of my steps to simply what comes in to my life. It's, generally, a decent read, but it's not one of my favorites. In this issue, the best story was about a Russian spy who defected to the U.S. only to defect back to Russia. If you like watching The American, you'd like this piece. And I always like to flip through the list of best restaurants. It's fun to add a few places to my list.
  • Books
    • I finished the last few pages of Branding: A Very Short Introduction a few days ago. I might have to pick up a few more books in this series because it was an easy to understand but informative format.
    • I decided it was time to finish Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan series. I picked up The Story of the Lost Child. It's the thickest book in the series and I have a feeling this is going to take me weeks and weeks to read since I tend to fall asleep in 5 minutes.

Comments